dr. W.J. (Wouter) Waalewijn
Faculty of Science
Science Park A
Science Park 904 Room number: C4.109
1090 GL Amsterdam
The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is at the heart of the worldwide effort to uncover the fundamental laws of physics. After the highly successful Run 1, with as climax the Nobel prize winning discovery of the Higgs boson, the hunt for Beyond-the-Standard Model physics has resumed at even higher energies. My research focusses on QCD aspects of LHC collisions. An introduction to why and how QCD is important for the LHC, is presented in my national seminar.
My main research themes are:
- Developing and studying observables to uncover new physics
- Improving theoretical predictions for collisions
Much of my work focusses on jets, which are sprays of energetic collimated hadrons (see image). They are copiously produced at the LHC and play a crucial role in many analyses. To describe these intrinsically multi-scale processes, I use effective field theory.
Some of my contributions are:
- The N-Jettiness observable, which provides a theoretically clean definition of an event with N jets. It is used to cancel infrared divergences in precision (NNLO) calculations. At the LHC it has been succesfully used as jet substructure, to identify hadronic decays of heavy particles (e.g. top quarks), which may prove crucial in uncovering a faint new physics signal.
- The first precision calculation of Higgs+0 jets, which involved the introduction of beam functions. Many LHC analyses bin events by the number of jets, to improve the signal sensitivity, which often dominates the theory uncertainty.
- A study of the potential of the electric charge of a jet to characterize a new physics signal, and its calculation.
- A rigorous QCD analysis of double parton scattering. This important component of collisions is currently modeled by Monte Carlo simulations without a solid field-theoretic description.
- Multi-differential resummation techniques, reliably accounting for correlations between observables (such as two angularities), hierarchies in jet angles and energies and jet radius logarithms.
- Study of the choice of jet axis on measurements in the context of the jet shape and transverse momentum distributions describing the structure of the proton.
- A framework to calculate electroweak logarithms in (semi-)inclusive cross sections.
A full list of my publications can be viewed on Inspire.
After studying physics and mathematics at Utrecht University, I went on to obtain a PhD at MIT and was a postdoc at UC San Diego. I started as a junior faculty member at the UvA in 2013 and am also affiliated with the Nikhef theory group. I have ongoing collaborations with colleagues at various institutions, including MIT, DESY, Berkeley, Vienna, LANL, Mainz, UCSD and Complutense.
When I am not doing physics, I enjoy reading, hiking, traveling and of course spending time with my lovely wife and children.
- Pedro Cal (PhD student)
- Jort Damste (PhD student)
- Gillian Lustermans (PhD student)
- Solange Schrijnder van Velzen (PhD student)
- Darren Scott (postdoc)
- Andreas Papaefstathiou (postdoc)
- Michiel Veen (PhD student)
- Leonardo Vernazza (postdoc)
- Lorenzo Zoppi (PhD student)
Bachelor and master students
Every year a few bachelor and master students carry out their thesis research in our group. Please inquire about opportunities, If you are interested.
- NWO Projectruimte (2018-2022)
- ERC Starting Grant (2016-2021)
- MISTI Global Seed Fund (2015-2016)
- Veni (Lisa Zeune, 2015-2017)
- Marie Curie Fellowship (2013-2015)
- Gutierrez-Reyes, D., Scimemi, I., Waalewijn, W. J., & Zoppi, L. (2018). Transverse-Momentum-Dependent Distributions with Jets. Physical Review Letters, 121(16), . DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.121.162001
- Procura, M., Waalewijn, W. J., & Zeune, L. (2018). Joint resummation of two angularities at next-to-next-to-leading logarithmic order. Journal of High Energy Physics, 2018(10), . DOI: 10.1007/JHEP10(2018)098
- Manohar, A. V., & Waalewijn, W. J. (2018). Electroweak logarithms in inclusive cross sections. Journal of High Energy Physics, 2018(8), . DOI: 10.1007/JHEP08(2018)137
- Fornal, B., Manohar, A. V., & Waalewijn, W. J. (2018). Electroweak gauge boson parton distribution functions. Journal of High Energy Physics, 2018(5), . DOI: 10.1007/JHEP05(2018)106
- Mo, J., Tackmann, F. J., & Waalewijn, W. J. (2017). A case study of quark-gluon discrimination at NNLL' in comparison to parton showers. European Physical Journal C, 77(11), . DOI: 10.1140/epjc/s10052-017-5365-9 [details]
- Bertolini, D., Kolodrubetz, D., Neill, D., Pietrulewicz, P., Stewart, I. W., Tackmann, F. J., & Waalewijn, W. J. (2017). Soft functions for generic jet algorithms and observables at hadron colliders. Journal of High Energy Physics, 2017(7), . DOI: 10.1007/JHEP07(2017)099 [details]
- Kang, Z-B., Ringer, F., & Waalewijn, W. J. (2017). The energy distribution of subjets and the jet shape. JHEP, 2017(7), . DOI: 10.1007/JHEP07(2017)064 [details]
- Elder, B. T., Procura, M., Thaler, J., Waalewijn, W. J., & Zhou, K. (2017). Generalized Fragmentation Functions for Fractal Jet Observables. The Journal of High Energy Physics, 2017(6), . DOI: 10.1007/JHEP06(2017)085 [details]
- Neill, D., Scimemi, I., & Waalewijn, W. J. (2017). Jet axes and universal transverse-momentum-dependent fragmentation. The Journal of High Energy Physics, 2017(4), . DOI: 10.1007/JHEP04(2017)020 [details]
- Kolodrubetz, D. W., Pietrulewicz, P., Stewart, I. W., Tackmann, F. J., & Waalewijn, W. J. (2016). Factorization for jet radius logarithms in jet mass spectra at the LHC. The Journal of High Energy Physics, 2016(12), . DOI: 10.1007/JHEP12(2016)054 [details]
- Lustermans, G., Waalewijn, W. J., & Zeune, L. (2016). Joint transverse momentum and threshold resummation beyond NLL. Physics Letters B, 762, 447-454. DOI: 10.1016/j.physletb.2016.09.060 [details]
- Pietrulewicz, P., Tackmann, F. J., & Waalewijn, W. J. (2016). Factorization and resummation for generic hierarchies between Jets. The Journal of High Energy Physics, 2016(8), . DOI: 10.1007/JHEP08(2016)002 [details]
- Tackmann, F. J., Waalewijn, W. J., & Zeune, L. (2016). Impact of jet veto resummation on slepton searches. The Journal of High Energy Physics, 2016(7), . DOI: 10.1007/JHEP07(2016)119 [details]
- Kasemets, T., Waalewijn, W. J., & Zeune, L. (2016). Calculating soft radiation at one loop. The Journal of High Energy Physics, 2016(3), . DOI: 10.1007/JHEP03(2016)153 [details]
- Adams, D., et al., U., & Waalewijn, W. (2015). Towards an understanding of the correlations in jet substructure: Report of BOOST2013, hosted by the University of Arizona, 12th-16th of August 2013. European Physical Journal C, 75(9), . DOI: 10.1140/epjc/s10052-015-3587-2 [details]
- Waalewijn, W. J. (2015). Dissecting Soft Radiation with Factorization. In K. Kutak, R. Maciula, A. M. Moraes, & A. Szczurek (Eds.), Proceedings of the 6th International Workshop on Multiple Partonic Interactions at the LHC: MPI@LHC 2014: 3-7 November, 2014 Kraków, Poland (pp. 42). Krakow: Polish Academy of Arts and Science. [details]
- Moult, I., Stewart, I. W., Tackmann, F. J., & Waalewijn, W. J. (2015). Employing Helicity Amplitudes for Resummation. Physical Review D. Particles, Fields, Gravitation, and Cosmology, 93(9), . DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevD.93.094003 [details]
- Procura, M., Waalewijn, W. J., & Zeune, L. K. (2015). Resummation of double-differential cross sections and fully-unintegrated parton distribution functions. The Journal of High Energy Physics, 2015(2), . DOI: 10.1007/JHEP02(2015)117 [details]
- Stewart, I. W., Tackmann, F. J., & Waalewijn, W. J. (2015). Dissecting Soft Radiation with Factorization. Physical Review Letters, 114(9), . DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.114.092001 [details]
- Jenkins, A. E., Manohar, A. V., Waalewijn, W. J., & Yadav, A. P. S. (2014). Gravitational Lensing of the CMB: a Feynman Diagram Approach. Physics Letters B, 736, 6-10. DOI: 10.1016/j.physletb.2014.07.002 [details]
- Jenkins, E. E., Manohar, A. V., Waalewijn, W. J., & Yadav, A. P. S. (2014). Higher-Order Gravitational Lensing Reconstruction using Feynman Diagrams. Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics, 2014, 024. DOI: 10.1088/1475-7516/2014/09/024 [details]
- Larkoski, A. J., Thaler, J., & Waalewijn, W. J. (2014). Gaining (Mutual) Information about Quark/Gluon Discrimination. The Journal of High Energy Physics, 2014(11), 129. DOI: 10.1007/JHEP11(2014)129 [details]
- Ritzmann, M., & Waalewijn, W. J. (2014). Fragmentation in Jets at NNLO. Physical Review D. Particles, Fields, Gravitation, and Cosmology, 90, 054029. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevD.90.054029 [details]
- No ancillary activities