Mr S.L. (Sjang) ten Hagen MSc
Faculty of Science
Science Park A
Science Park 904 Room number: C4273B
1090 GL Amsterdam
I am a PhD candidate in the history of the sciences and humanities.
I specialize in the history of physics, the history of historiography, and the history of the phenomenon of interdisciplinarity. Combining these interests in my PhD research, I study examples of knowledge transfer between humanities and science in nineteenth-century Germany.
Currently, I am studying the changing roles and interpretations of the concept of ‘fact’ in the context of discipline formation around 1800. I focus especially on physics and historiography.
I am a teaching assistant in the third-year bachelor's course History and Philosophy of Science (6 ECTS) at the UvA Faculty of Science. I also assist in the supervision of bachelor's theses on the history and philosophy of physics.
- Bod, R., van Dongen, J., ten Hagen, S. L., Karstens, B. & Mojet, G.E.N., "The Flow of Cognitive Goods: A Historiographical Framework for the Systematic Study of Epistemic Transfer Between Disciplines", in review.
- van Heteren, A. H., van Dierendonk, R. C., van Egmond, M. A., ten Hagen, S. L., & Kreuning, J. (2017). Neither slim nor fat: estimating the mass of the dodo (Raphus cucullatus, Aves, Columbiformes) based on the largest sample of dodo bones to date. PeerJ, 5:e4110, (based on Bachelor's thesis), link.
- Ten Hagen, S.L. (2017), "Lorraine Daston, ed., Science in the Archives: Pasts, Presents, Futures," History of Humanities, 2(2), 538-540, link.
- HSS Annual Meeting 2018, Seattle, November 2018, paper in panel session, upcoming
- Making of the Humanities VII, University of Amsterdam, November 2018, individual paper, upcoming
- Science and the First World War: The Aftermath, Royal Society London, September 2018, individual paper, upcoming.
- 100 Years of Applying and Interpreting General Relativity, Universität Bern, September 2017, paper with Jeroen van Dongen.
- Making of the Humanities VI, University of Oxford, September 2017, paper in panel session.
- 7th Gewina Conference for the History of Science in the Netherlands, Woudschoten, June 2017, paper in panel session.
- First Teylers Meeting on History of Astronomy and Physics, Teylers Museum, Haarlem, April 2017, individual paper.
- Verkiezing Jonge Historicus van het Jaar 2018, Zaalverhuur 7, Utrecht, June 2018, mini-keynote.
- Happychaos: De Wankele Waarheid, Lab111, Amsterdam, June 2017, column.
- 2016-2020: PhD Candidate in NWO project The Flow of Cognitive Goods, University of Amsterdam
- 2014-2016: M.Sc. History and Philosophy of Science (cum laude), Utrecht University
- 2010-2014: B.Sc. Natural and Social Sciences (Bèta-gamma), major in physics, University of Amsterdam
- No ancillary activities